Senior Adviser – Civil Security
The Permanent International Secretariat of the Council of the Baltic Sea States (CBSS) is recruiting a Senior Adviser working under the supervision of and reporting to the Director General of the Secretariat. The Senior Adviser is responsible for providing secretarial/technical/analytical assistance and advice to the CBSS, initiate, assist in preparation and implement projects and to liaise with relevant stakeholders and networks in the region. The initial focus of the position will be on the future long-term CBSS priority of Safety and Security, implying mainly civil security related regional cooperation (e.g. cooperation against organized crime, border guard cooperation, nuclear safety, land-based disaster management etc).
The job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent of this position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position. Responsibilities may vary and change over time, depending on the development of the CBSS and of the Secretariat in the general framework of Baltic Sea Cooperation.
The position of Senior Adviser involves frequent travel to destinations in CBSS Member States and occasionally beyond.
A competitive remuneration and allowances package, depending on expatriate status, professional background and family situation, is offered.
All internationally recruited staff members of the Secretariat are nationals of a Member State of the Council of the Baltic Sea States and are nominated on the basis of merits in a manner which strives to take account of geographical representation, gender balance and the principle of rotation.
Individuals applying for the position should possess at least the following qualifications:
- A university degree in a field relevant to the position;
- A minimum of ten years of professional experience, including some of which are at the multilateral or regional international level and at a national level with relevance to the job description;
- Good understanding and appreciation of the context of the CBSS, as well as ability to navigate in a complex international environment, including the EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region, renewed Northern Dimension and other regional or national strategy documents of importance to the CBSS.
- Strong organizational skills – a team player able to handle a multitude of tasks and prioritize;
- Proven record of fundraising and/or project management;
- Strong and broad personal network and aptitude for liaison with various governmental, non-governmental and international organisations;
- Clear analytical skills and ability to make sound judgments, critical thinking and problem solving skills;
- Excellent communication, drafting and reporting skills;
- Excellent command of oral and written English is required. A working knowledge of Russian and/or other languages of the region in addition to your national language will be seen as an advantage handling this portfolio;
- Computer literacy in MS office tools
Terms of Employment
The Senior Adviser will be appointed for a period of four years with possibility of prolongation for up to two years. The suggested starting date for the position is 1 September 2014.
The place of employment is Stockholm.
Applications consisting of completed application form, CV and a letter of motivation should be submitted preferably via e-mail to:
Mr. Jan Lundin
P.O. Box 2010
SE 103 11 Stockholm
Fax +46 8 440 1944
All application documents must be presented in English.
Complete applications should be submitted not later than 5 May 2014. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Further information on the position can be acquired from Ms. Gertrude Opira, Head of Administration, +46 8 440 1922 or Ms. Ligia Broström, Administrative Officer,+46 8 440 1932.
Please see the full vacancy notice and application form here.