Uppsala universitet - Campus Gotland, 621 57 Visby
We cannot do it alone – how to save the sea on shores across borders
An International Day
1 July 2014, Visby Gotland, Sweden
09:00 – 17:00
Venue: Main library, Uppsala University Campus Gotland
On 1 July 2014, the Council of the Baltic Sea States, under its incoming Estonian Presidency and within the framework of the EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region, arranges the international event We cannot do it alone – how to save the sea on shores across borders – an International Day. This one day event will raise awareness on the environmental status of the Baltic Sea as well as show-casing and discussing cross-border cooperation to save the Baltic Sea waters while ensuring prosperous economies and promoting sustainable development on land. It will take place during the Swedish Political week, ‘Almedalen’. We would hereby like to warmly invite you to the auditorium of the main library, Uppsala University – Campus Gotland (Almedalsbiblioteket, Cramérgatan 5. Hörsal E 22) to join with us and other stakeholders and experts within their respective field, from across the whole Baltic Sea region, to discuss:
- The BUSINESS IN BEING SUSTAINABLE
- BLUE ND GREEN ECONOMY – CONSISTENT APPROACHES TO INNOVATION AND INCREASED SUSTAINABILITY?
- BOTTOM-UP ENVIRONMENTAL COOPERATION – A DRIVER FOR POLITICAL INTEGRATION?
- THE SEA AS A RESOURCE – HOW TO PROTECT IT AND USE IT RESPONSIBLY
The meeting will be opened by a high level panel showcasing cooperation to save the Baltic Sea on shore across borders. We are looking forward to statements by:
- Allan Larsson, Forum Östersjön
- Elena Basile, Italian Ambassador to Sweden
- Lowri Evans, European Commission, Director General for Maritime Affairs and Fisheries ( EC DG MARE)
- Meelis Münt, Deputy Secretary General of the Ministry of the Environment, Estonia
- Ewa Dębska, Deputy Director European Policy Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Poland
Press release on Baltic Sea Week (in Swedish).