Horizontal Action “Neighbours” is one of the five Horizontal Actions in EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region (EUSBSR). The main purpose of Horizontal Action (HA) “Neighbours” is to bring together stakeholders in the EU Member States and neighbouring countries, especially the North Western territories of the Russian Federation and Norway. Close cooperation at national, regional and local level is vital to jointly tackle many of the challenges in Baltic Sea Region and to fully utilize its development potential. HA Neighbours helps interested stakeholders and project partners find each other across borders. It facilitates discussion and exchanges of experience, as well as concrete projects in the Baltic Sea Region. This has been done through building on two independent but complementary initiatives: the Turku Process and the Modernization Partnership for the South East Baltic Area (SEBA). The Horizontal Action is co-coordinated between the Council of the Baltic Sea States Secretariat (CBSS) in Stockholm and the City of Turku, Finland. It was included in the EUSBSR Action Plan in February 2013.
On the website, you find also HA Neighbours’ blog that highlights work for the EUSBSR from the point of view of the neighbouring countries. If you liked to contribute to the blog, do not hesitate to contact Juhani Ailio, firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are eight actions under HA Neighbours:
- Promotion of higher education and professional networks with innovative enterprises
- Strengthening environmental cross-border competence in the Baltic Sea Region
- Fostering labour market-related activities in the cross-border context
- Promoting youth and student exchanges and co-operation in the Baltic Sea Region
- Develop sustainable cross-border areas for tourism and economic development
- Development of Public-Private Partnerships (PPP)
- Cultural heritage and creative industries
- Fostering cross-border cooperation through youth exchange and exchange in higher education